Vegan Churros and chocolate. Need I say more… I feel like this classic Spanish dish needs no more selling! It is simple, sumptuous and best of all dairy, egg, nut and soya free. In fact I didn’t know that Churros is usually made naturally vegan anyway so it was a really lovely surprise to find J could eat it when we visited Spain recently.
We have just come back from a week in Spain with my parents and a lot of delicious tapas, fresh fish and eating by the sea. Enjoying local cuisine has always been one of favourite things about going abroad but it is much more tricky with allergies.
It is always nervewracking trying to eat out with J, especially in a foreign country, so I was really happy to find some very helpful and receptive cafe owners and a fabulous safe treat in naturally vegan churros.
Even better, this vegan churros is surprisingly easy to make yourself and makes a great breakfast or brunch treat. It can take a little while to master the piping and my Dad and I had to have a few practice sessions, but we got there and even the ones that didn’t look so good, tasted amazing!
- 250ml water
- 30g caster sugar
- ½tsp salt
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 125g plain flour
- Oil for frying
- Sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
- 100g dairy free chocolate
- Bring water, sugar, salt and oil to the boil. Remove from the heat and gradually sift in flour and combine until it forms a firm ball.
- Heat oil until a small crumb of dough sizzles. Pipe strips of the dough through a flower nozzle into the oil.Cook until golden brown and drain on kitchen roll.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar. Melt chocolate and get dipping!