I feel like I’m giving away a family secret by posting this recipe. Well I kind of am, because it’s the recipe for my easy vegan chocolate cake – the best you’ll ever taste! It is pretty much foolproof and I guarantee that after making it, you will never turn to any other recipe again.
My mum has been making the original non vegan chocolate cake since we were children for everything from birthday cakes to chocolate logs. When J was diagnosed with his allergies we adapted the ingredients to be dairy free and egg free – and you honestly can’t tell the difference.
Versatile vegan chocolate cake
I recently used this easy vegan chocolate cake to make J’s construction cake for his 3rd birthday and it was so popluar that there wasn’t any left after everybody had gone home. It is also the recipe I use for my popular Oreo cupcakes.
A few weeks ago a friend also made it for her daughter’s birthday cake so it was safe for J (I have fabulous friends!) and I could hear everyone saying how great it was and asking for the recipe. They had no idea it was vegan and didn’t care because it is just so delicious.
So give it a go and I promise you won’t look back. I’d love to hear what your friends and family think and see pictures of any creations. Please share the love – it’s too good to keep a secret!
- 200g golden syrup
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 200g dairy free spread
- 280ml dairy free milk
- 2 servings egg replacer
- 300g plain flour
- 150g cocoa powder
- 3tsp bircabonate of soda
- 320g dairy free spread
- 150g cocoa
- 3 tbsp non dairy milk
- 480g icing sugar
- Melt the dairy free spread, golden syrup and brown sugar together gently in a saucepan. Take off the heat and add the milk and egg replacer.
- In a separate bowl sieve the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda. Mix in the wet ingredients.
- (It may seem more liquid than you expect but this OK. Don't worry if there are a few lumps too)
- Pour into two lined 8 inch cake tins and bake for 180c for 20-30mins until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Cream together dairy free spread and cocoa. Mix in milk and then slowly add icing sugar until smooth.
- Place the two cake halves together with a layer of icing in between and the remaining covering the entire cake.