What theme do you plan for a 3 year old girl’s summer birthday party? Why fairies and unicorns of course! To be honest, Miss A has been at the forefront of this idea, demanding a fairy party since March, when she was very disgruntled that it was her brother’s birthday and not hers! So the invitations have gone out this week and now it’s time for the fun part – planning the menu. I know lots of parents don’t look forward to catering for children’s parties, especially when dealing with allergies but I love it the challenge of finding fun, child friendly food that noone will even realise is allergy free. Step in, unicorn smoothies!
Earlier this month, Ciao Gusto got in touch to ask if I could create a summer drink with one of their Valsoia dairy free milks. I had never heard of Valsoia before but it has been Italy’s premier health food brand since 1990 and is wholly plant-based and GMO-free. They have some great dairy free options including ice cream sandwiches, pizza and bechamel sauce, which you can buy through the Ciao Gusto Italian Deli on Ocado.
We chose to use their Valsoia oat milk in our unicorn smoothies, as that’s what Miss A drinks, but you could easily substitute it for their soya or almond milks instead.
This smoothie is really healthy, looks beautiful and is perfect for a party or special occasion. It’s literally just dairy free milk and fruit but the kids will think they are getting a real treat. If you want a healthier alternative to the sprinkles then try these rainbow coconut sprinkles from Eats Amazing.
- 480ml dairy free milk
- 1 banana
- Handful strawberries
- Handful blueberries
- Dairy free yoghurt
- Draw unicorn eyes on glasses with permanent marker.
- Dip glasses in dairy free yoghurt and then into srinkles. Put in freezer for 15mins.
- Blend 160ml dairy free milk with banana and pour into unicorn glasses. Blend 160ml dairy free milk with strawberries and pour into separate glass. Put both glasses in freezer for 15mins.
- Pour strawberry smoothie slowly over banana layer. Blend 160ml dairy free milk with blueberries and pour into separate glass. Put both glasses in freezer for 15mins.
- Pour blueberry smoothie slowly over strawberry layer and serve.
- (If the smoothies get a bit solid on top while in the freezer, just break them up with a spoon and give them a stir before pouring them in)
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Ciao Gusto. All words and photod are my own.