We love pancakes in our house – big, fluffy American ones! I know, I know, I do feel a bit of a traitor but I must admit it is one American tradition I have inherited from my husband and there’s no going back. These vegan gluten free pancakes made with chia seeds are a great freefrom version and will always be drizzled with the obligatory maple syrup!
They are easy to make – don’t let the chia egg put you off – and are a great protein packed start to the day. If you don’t have any chia seeds in the house, or are ok with gluten, then try my best vegan pancakes. Both are a great for a weekend brunch or even a midweek pre-school breakfast for the kids and can be frozen and reheated as necessary.
How to make vegan, gluten free pancakes
These pancakes are easy to make. You just need to leave an extra 15 minutes for your chia seeed egg to form in the fridge. After that, it’s just a case of mixing it all together.
Chia seeds are a great alternative to eggs and can be used in a whole variety of cooking and baking.
- 125g gluten free self raising flour (I use Freefromfairy)
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 1 chia egg (1tbsp chia seeds & 3tsp water)
- 150ml dairy free milk
- Make the chia egg by grinding chia seeds and mixing with water. Leave in the fridge for 15mins.
- Mix together flour and sugar and slowly add chia egg and milk until it is a thick cream consistency.
- Oil a pan and drop in batter to form small rounds.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until mixture starts to bubble.
- Turn and cook for another 2-3 minutes