The unmistakable golden colours of Autumn are one of my favourite palettes of the year. And that vibrant glow cannot be represented any better than in the vegetable that sums up the season – pumpkins!
If you’re like me, then you probably carve a pumpkin every year, maybe roast off the seeds but don’t actually do anything with the flesh itself. Well, this year I decided it was time for that to change. And I’m so glad I did!
This easy pumpkin pasta is delicious, vegan and gluten free! Plus it makes a great showstopper dish for a dinner party this Autumn when served up in a pretty pumpkin bowl.
This recipe was inspired by the new Napolina gluten free pastas. There is green pea or red lentil and they are both full of protein and fibre and even better, one of your five a day. Who knew pasta could be so healthy?!
We also tried out their new olive oil spray, which I love. Anything to make cooking a little bit easier and mess free. It’s perfect when you just want a light touch too, like when roasting vegetables or seeds in this recipe.
- 300g pumpkin
- ½ onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove (optional)
- 200ml coconut milk
- Sage leaves (approx 16)
- Handful pumpkin seeds
- 300g Napolina gluten free red lentil pasta
- Remove the stringy inner flesh and seeds from the pumpkin. Rinse the seeds.
- Cut the pumpkin into segments and place skin up on a baking tray. Spray with oil and roast on 200C/180C for 40mins until flesh is tender. Leave to cool slghtly and peel off skin.
- Dice onion and add to a saucepan with garlic and oil. Fry for 5mins. Add pumpkin flesh and coconut milk. Blitz with a hand blender and season well with salt and black pepper. (If you want the sauce a bit looser, add more coconut milk or a small amount of stock.)
- Cook pasta to packet instructions and stir into sauce.
- Lay pumpkin seeds and sage leaves on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake at 180C for 10mins until seeds are golden.
- Serve pasta in a small pumpkin and scatter seeds and crumbled sage leaves on top.
Our easy vegan and gluten free pumpkin pasta is part of a range of #freefromharvest recipes that some of our favourite foodie bloggers are sharing to make the most of this season’s produce. Check out these other great ideas:
The Intolerant Gourmand : GF DF Apple Crumble; Pumpkin Risotto
Easy Peasy Foodie : Peri Peri Chicken; Vegan Vegetable Korma
Mummy Tries : Three Tasty Beetroot Recipes
Julie’s Family Kitchen : GF Almond, Pear & Chocolate Cake
Dairy Free Kids : Apple & Blackberry Crumble
The Adventures of an Allergy Mummy : Butternut Squash Soup with a Kick
Glutarama : Beetroot Brownie Cake
Paleo Crust : Roasted Squash & Ginger Soup
*This recipe is sponsored by Napolina gluten free pasta. All photos and opinions are my own.